Paired with ZD Reserve Chardonnay, California
Chef Ashley Grant, ZD Wines
1 head butter lettuce
2 small heirloom tomatoes
2 eggs, hard boiled
10 oz. haricot verts (French green beans)
8 oz. Ahi tuna , preferably a center cut (ask your butcher to remove skin and blood line)
16 nicoise olives
4 french fingerling potatoes (there is a variety called Princess Laratte that is lovely)
olive oil, as needed
½ cup ZD Chardonnay
1 egg yolk
3 sprigs fresh thyme,
¼ cup olive oil
¼ grapeseed oil
S&P, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add one large handful of salt.
2. Cover fingerling potatoes with cold water and boil until fork tender. Peel skins off while warm, and then cool.
3. Clean ends off of green beans and blanch in boiling water until tender. Shock in ice water and drain.
4. Cut tomatoes into wedges (6 each)
5. Cut eggs in quarters.
6. Season tuna with sea salt and pepper. Sear in a very hot pan on all sides for about a minute on each side. Slice thinly.
7. Wash butter lettuce and pick leaves apart, but leave them whole.
8. For dressing, whisk together chardonnay, egg yolk, and a bit of salt. SLOWLY, drizzle oils in until everything is incorporated. Add thyme leaves, roughly chopped, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. At this point you can arrange the salad any way you please, but its nice to lay the leaves of lettuce down as a base and then keep each component separate, so the guest can arrange it to his or her liking! Serve dressing on the side or pour some over top before serving. Sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley over the top or put a whole sprig for garnish.
10. Most importantly, serve with ZD’s 2000 Reserve Chardonnay!