Seafood Beggar's Purse
with Cauliflower Puree and Citrus Salad
Paired with ZD Chardonnay, California
Chef Ashley Grant, ZD Wines
4 oz. Filet of white meat fish
4 oz. Filet of Salmon
3 oz. Rock shrimp
6 Bay scallops
3T ZD Chardonnay
Juice of one lemon
Juice of one orange
½ bunch of chives, sliced thin
¼ C mascarpone
For Citrus Salad
3 oranges, peeled and segmented into segments
2 T olive oil
1 T honey
1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut into a small dice
6 large basil leaves, sliced thin
1 bunch pea shoots
½ lime, juiced
Salt and pepper
1 package philo dough
For Cauliflower Puree:
1 head cauliflower
½ milk, ½ heavy cream to cover cauliflower
1 granny smith apple, peeled and cut into 1’ pieces
Salt and Pepper
1. Begin by making the cauliflower puree. This can be done up to a day ahead of time. Take the core out of the center of cauliflower and break into florets, cutting away the excess stem.
2. Put florets in a pot with heavy cream and milk and your peeled, diced apple. Add bay leaf and about 1 T of salt. Simmer slowly until cauliflower and apple are tender. Drain cauliflower, saving the excess liquid.
3. Puree in blender with a little of the extra milk. Add 1 t of lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste. Pass the mixture through a fine chinois and into a small saucepot. Set aside.
4. Roast the red bell pepper over an open flame until the skin is black on all sides. Put in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 10 minutes. Peel, deseed, and dice.
5. In the meantime, pick pea leaves and tendrils into bite-size pieces.
6. Mix together the oranges, basil, bell pepper, and a little olive oil, limejuice, salt pepper and honey. Let marinate for 20 minutes.
7. Cut the fish into 1-inch cubes. Dice the scallops into small cubes. Also split the shrimp in half lengthwise. Mix together all of the other filling ingredients (except the phyllo) and marinate fish for at least 20 minutes.
8. Melt 1 stick of butter in a small saucepot. Brush a single sheet of philo with butter. Place another sheet of philo on top and brush with butter. Repeat until you have four layers. Now cut as many 6-inch squares out of the dough as you can (probably 4). Put a generous spoonful of the fish mixture into the dough and pull the sides up around it. Secure with a small strip of aluminum and bake in the oven at 375º until dough becomes golden brown.
9. Heat up a little of the cauliflower puree and put on the plate. Add pea shoots to the citrus salad and spoon over the cauliflower puree. Place the beggars purse on top and enjoy with ZD 2002 California Chardonnay.